Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Decision is Made~


I have read a few blogs from people who followed the Nancy Thomas method for attachment, but had not ordered the CDs "Taming the Tiger While its Still A Kitten." I left a post on RQ asking people about using an Ergo for a 3 year old and got mixed responses. The post kind of turned into more of a "theory on attachment" kind of post, which wasn't really what I was looking for. I just wanted to know if an Ergo would work for a 28 lb child. I listened to what everyone had to say, and vacillated myself on whether or not to "pouch" Cara and use Nancy Thomas' methods for attachment. I bought the CDs and listened to them twice. I really think, for me, that the Ergo is going to help with attachment, so this weekend I bought one at REI. I went with the Ergo sport since it has more venting to keep Cara cooler. We'll see how it works, but I think our family is going to try to follow this method. I work in a school as a VP and my "frequent flyers" for discipline issues tend to be kids who have issues with attachment, so I know how important it is. I will keep you posted on how it works!

3 comments:

  1. It will certainly be easier to get around if you have this. Strollers are almost non-existent in China except when used by foreigners, and there really are not many stroller-friendly places, especially if you are touring. She also may not know how to hold onto you. If she hasn't needed to be carried around by her nanny or caregiver, she won't "grab on". My travel mate adopted a 22 year old and the little girl really didn't know that she was supposed to be a limpet, so she kind of hung there when her mother tried to carry her. Hard on the body all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your new daughter is amenable to the sling I think it would be a great thing to try.

    We adopted our daughter right after her fourth birthday. She was light enough for a sling (she was only 30 lbs when we received her) but her legs were so long it was a problem and I was not able to use the sling with her.

    She was (and is, even 3 1/2) extremely good at hanging on. Until recently I could carry her with almost no effort on my part, but it's not something that can be maintained for any length of time. (She is now 7 1/2 and tall for her age and weighs close to 50 lbs, so it's a bit more difficult for me to carry her, but she still likes to be picked up.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woops, that's supposed to say "even 3 1/2 years later"

    ReplyDelete