Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Consulate Appointment

Today was the day of our Consulate Appointment. We didn't go; our guides went for us but we had to stay in our room from 10:30 to 11:30 in case there were any questions. One of our guides, Grace, called us around 11:00 and said, "Good news! No questions, you are free to leave your room." We went shopping for a little while until we needed to leave to go to the consulate and take the oath. We also took Cara to the park behind Lucy's. She loved it! I'm not sure she's ever been down a slide before, but today she must have gone down the slide 50 times. Seriously, 50 times!

We went back to Jenny's and bought four more pairs of squeaky shoes and two silk dresses. If you are making a trip to Guangzhou in the near future, go to Jenny's. She is not a high pressure sales person and her prices are the best. Cara fell asleep on the way back to the hotel room so J walked with her around the White Swan grounds while we went up to the room and got ready for the consulate appointment.

We all met down on the 1st floor to go to the consulate and take the oath. Today there were 35 families going to the consulate. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the consulate from the White Swan hotel. We all went up into the room and waited until our appointment at 3:30. A lady came out and spoke to us for a few minutes before she had us take the oath. She told us that 67% of adoptions from China so far this year were special needs. She also told us that 1/3 of US adoptions are from China. We took the oath and then sat back down and waited to be called to a window to sign our final adoption form. After that, we headed back to the hotel. On the way, Cara threw a colossal tantrum on the bus (her 2nd of the day). She was pinching, spitting, and hitting her sister, which is not allowed. She was MAD!!!! The fit continued back up into the hotel room. We just sat on the bed and let her lay on the floor and kick and scream and hit the floor. She needs to learn that tantrums don't get you what you want in the Funk house.

After her tantrum, we went back to Jenny's to buy some gifts. Jenny loves us, probably because we have spent a lot of money in her store! ;) She gave Cara a small Chinese flag and a plastic tiara. She marched around waving her flag in her squeaky shoes wearing her tiara. She was quite a sight, I must say. She had quite an audience. We ate at Lucy's again for dinner and she marched back to the hotel afterward waving her flag and wearing her tiara. She is a spirited, funny little thing. She will keep us on our toes for sure!


  1. Squeky shoes are awesome. Sounds like a good day overall. She sure is a cutie. The kids miss seeing you in school.

  2. We can't wait to have you home, and meet our new grandaughter Cara. Grandpa

  3. Nice pictures. Good job with the whole tantrum thing, too.

  4. I am so glad that everything is going so well! Can't wait to meet Cara! She is absolutely adorable!!!!